Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Thursday, November 01, 2012

Hurricane Sandy Part 14

Things feel crazy right now.

Our school still doesn't have power although a few in the area do. Our principal arranged for classes to be held in different houses, but I didn't find out for sure this would happen until an hour and a half before it was happening and most teachers were unavailable to teach. I was home with no materials to speak of. Thankfully, I'm a hoarder. In my home office I found several piles of printouts and things that I'd been telling myself for years to throw out. Now I'm glad I kept them. I taught in not one, but two, different houses, racing between them and dropping ND off at a third house for kindergarten.

The kids were fairly off-the-wall, but when I took out a read-aloud, you could have heard a pin drop. How we are craving our regular routines!

Tomorrow will be similar except that many of the classes at least will be housed at a single location (a local shul). I didn't know for sure if I was needed until 10 o'clock tonight. I have pulled together a few things. I hope it's enough. I feel proud at the end of the day to help, but I don't like living minute to minute like this.


Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks for sharing all the details of this past week. The post about the grocery trip was harrowing. Hope NJ and NY will be back to normal soon.
Shabbat Shalom!

12:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home