Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Action #6: Immigration rally

Rabbi Helfgot from Netivot Shalom
Attended rally in Teaneck just now about the immigration ban.

I was very proud to see two students from my school there. I made a point of going over to them and telling them how glad I was that they came. In term, I'm really glad they saw a teacher supporting them.

There were mostly Muslims at this rally, but also people from all other groups. I was glad to see a lot of kippot there. I'm realizing how incredibly important it is to show up at these local rallies not only as Americans, but as Jews specifically. I don't just want the Trump administration to see our opposition... I also want these other groups to see that we are there with them. With tensions so high, people can turn against each other and I don't want to be thought of as the "them" in "us and them."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home