Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Israel Part 4: People

Enough of “concept," it's time for me to start telling you what I'm actually doing here.

When I first decided I would come on this trip, I wasn't exactly sure why I needed to or what I hoped to achieve. Should I volunteer? Should I offer moral support? I didn't want to join a mission. (I realize now that one reason for this was that I didn't want a repeat of what I talked about in Israel: Part 3. I didn't want PR. I didn't want someone else's agenda. 

This is the first Israel trip, and certainly the first international trip of any kind, that I've planned with the focus being entirely about reconnecting with people. I've needed to process the war, my relationship with Israel and my relationship with my now-changed-self. The itinerary of visiting and speaking with one old friend after another -- some from very different backgrounds and all of whom I trust and love -- has been my itinerary to do that. 

The next posts will focus on these visits and on what I did with these wonderful people. (Apologies to BF and MH whom I saw on Shabbat and couldn't - yet - get a picture!)











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home