Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Friday, September 02, 2005

New Orleans

It's been so weird to be so occupied with preparing for the school year and getting annoyed with the daily problem of a long driving commute, needing a new printer, still unpacking boxes etc.

while people are starving and looting in New Orleans.

I had a good friend when I was a kid who always really fascinated me. She was one of those polar opposite people who just leaves you in awe. While my mother was trying to encourage me to dress more girl-y, this friend's mother was trying to stop her from wearing make-up. She was social, even popular. I was shy and withdrawn.

I haven't had any contact with her since 1997 or 1998. I remember talking to her on the phone from my apartment in Oberlin after her mother died in a terrible accident. Afterwards I lost her number, but I knew she was in New Orleans. She's one of those rare friends that I do search for every few years although so far with little success. Yesterday I googled her. I found her name as a contact person in a catering business in New Orleans.

I wonder if the place is even standing now.

There was an email address, so I shot a note to her.

And then I went on with my day, cooking dinner, etc., while things are completely upside-down in place not so far away.

U. suggested we go out and get gas before the prices go up. So I went out last night. Not only were the prices up, but the two cheaper kinds were sold out. The delivery truck never came in the afternoon. And meanwhile I have a daily half hour driving commute to my new job.

I wonder what's next.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Evenewra said...

For the record, the above comment is from the long-lost friend in question. I can't tell you how this makes me feel.

3:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home