Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

At least I'm not crazy

Just spoke to a friend of mine from work. She said she had the same symptoms as me last year and that it was, indeed, the flu.

She warns me though that even after the worst was over, she still felt under the weather for the next 3 weeks.

Great.

I must say, I've done a pretty good job this round of not letting all this mess with my head too much. Sure I went through my usual self-defeating thoughts:

"Everyone thinks you're just playing hooky."

"Clearly they operate fine without you. So much for keeping that job."

"What kind of a person are you anyway, getting sick all the time, taking time out to get well... sicko."

But for the most part I can tell that people just want me to get well and come back. I'm annoyed that I won't be my best. But on the other hand I've had some time to rethink how I do some things at work and hopefully I'll adjust those when I come back.

As for people thinking about me, they probably are like me and spend a lot less time thinking about other people and instead are more worried about themselves. I certainly don't care if anyone else misses work because they're sick.

And whatever happens, I know the kids will be happy to see me again. How is it that the kids, the center of what I do, so easily get eclipsed by all the other stuff?

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Yoel Natan said...

Hey, I'm sorry this bug is being so nasty to you. :( Here's something that cheered me up just now, in hope that the cheer is communicable:

When I was davening minchah I included you with my cholim for rfuah shleymah, but I had to use your English name because I couldn't remember your mother's Hebrew name. I davened for you three times a day every day for an awful long time, and now you've been well for long enough for me to forget. That makes me really happy, even though now you need to kick this flu's butt. :}

7:48 PM

 
Blogger Evenewra said...

Yes, that makes me VERY happy. Thank you. Someone told me today that I looked like I've lost weight and I totally freaked out, remembering how I lost 15 pounds before my cancer diagnosis.

However, everyone also reiterated that I sound awful and should just go home and get well! I was a little scared they all thought I was faking, but now I'm pretty sure they still like me.

Chavah bat Tzviah Tamar

8:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home