Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Disclosure

It is so tricky to figure out how much of myself to show to people and when.

When I began my first teaching job as an assistant, the teacher I was working for told me her life story in our first hour together. I appreciated it and learned so much about her right away. I only a little bit felt overwhelmed. On the other hand, I told her I was not comfortable sharing so much right away, as at my previous job I had shared to much and it had caused problems.

It's tricky anyway, but especially in a new place, and with me being as emotional as I am. I'm gradually getting to know a certain colleague at work more and more, and yet I feel I often second-guess what she really means because we haven't established that trust.

My natural inclination is to address this all head-on with her, but then I'm afraid that will make me look weird, if I don't already.

Do other people feel this way?

And of course, the same question goes for blogging. Do I write this stuff here, or in my anonymous blog, or no where at all? I'm choosing to do it here because I know that some of my friends (you know who you are) enjoy it, and I want to keep that part of myself open to you, just as I'd like to see you share it on your own blogs.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah see, I'm full-on full disclosure, but I second-guess what nearly everyone else really means when they speak to me.

And isn't part of blogging being able to speak your mind behind a "wall" of protection? The voice in the computer is not the same as the voice from the face in front of me, no?

3:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home