Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Great GREEN Gobs Of...


I just want to write about one more bit tonight about two great green things I'm doing.

1. Through the Greening Committee I've gotten involved with a CSA or farm share at my shul. It is fun. Wednesday nights she brings vegetables... whatever is available. Tonight I actually got to meet the farmer who is doing it and stood around chatting with my friends who are also doing it. I get to try out veggies that I might not otherwise, it's inexpensive, and best of all it's organic, supports local business and avoids wasted food miles.

2. I've discovered and am using Freecycle. It's great. You sign up and then can hear about or offer free stuff that others are getting rid of.

I've picked up some used purses (for when I need to look presentable) and a baby wipes warmer that I would never have spent money on. (That lady left some jars of organic baby food for us too.)

I've gotten rid of a changing table, maternity clothes, office chair and I can't remember what else right now.

Sometimes it's difficult. Sometimes people flake out. Also, sometimes they were rude. I posted about an item, linked to a picture of it on Amazon, and someone couldn't figure out how to access the link. When I wrote instructions to him, he wrote back quite abusively because he said he wanted to know what he was getting. So I told him in simple terms without engaging in a fight that I didn't think the item was right for his purposes. He wrote back saying thank you and "G-d bless." Weird.

Also, with the changing table, I accidentally promised it to two people. But someone else wrote to me and said that if anyone else needed a table, she had one too. So I hooked them up. It felt very healing (after I felt so guilty promising to someone and giving to someone else.)

When I gave away the maternity clothes today (they didn't look good on me even when I was pregnant) the guy who picked them up was so nice. It just felt good all around.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger AMJ said...

In Israel we have the same idea as Freecycle. Each community has its own list serve and you can advertise anything within the proper guidelines. This includes giveaways, business ads, events, house for rent or sale and so on. We have been able to take advantage of giving and receiving and it is great. It is really nice to know that things you are giving away are really going to a good place and not going to end up in a garbage somewhere as the charity you gave them to could not use them.

4:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home