Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Say Sorry

Tonight during dinner at my grandmother (Meemau)'s house, I was helping ND cut her pasta. I accidentally broke the plastic fork she was using. The night before she had been biting a plastic fork hard and I had warned her not to break it.

So when I broke hers she reminded me that "we don't do that."

I responded that I was sorry but that I had been trying to help her. I also said I would get her another one right away. (In the past she has made a very big deal about me accidentally breaking things so I wanted to get off the subject as quickly as possible.)

Later as I was cleaning in the kitchen I heard her tell the family that I had broken her fork but that I had been trying to help her. Then she called to me, "You need to say sorry."

"But I did say sorry."

"You said sorry to me but not to Meemau. It's her house and her fork."

So I went to Meemau in front of ND, retold the whole story and said, "I'm sorry."

"It's OK," she said. "But thank you for saying sorry."

ND watched and listened to every word.

My gosh, what is in store for me 10 years from now!?

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home