Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Action #11: Brave Facebook DIALOGUE

I'm pretty discriminating on what actually counts as an action in this list. Re-posts on Facebook and signing petitions don't count. However, I recently posted a question and got quite a few responses. Most were from my liberal friends, but three conservative people who I know in various contexts responded and I engaged as responsively as I could. I ignored nonsensical comments that didn't directly address the question I was asking, but agreed with points that I could and asked clarifying questions as  necessary. I did not try to change anyone's mind. My goal only was to present myself as having a legitimate question and stating my disagreements calmly without over-posting data.

Ironically, the two most vocal of the commenters wouldn't be caught dead in a room together... one a a religious Rabbi, another a southern baptist. Out of respect to both of them and the important role they've played in my life I won't give further details. That, too, I hope is good role-modeling.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home