Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Monday, March 11, 2024

We Want It All

This post was written on March 10th, posted on March 11th.

I wish blogger would let me post the video I have on my phone... it was filmed just a few miles away from our home during a local protest.   (Message me privately. I'll send it to you.) In any case, below is what you can hear in the video.

"Say it loud, say it clear.

We don't want no zionists here.

Settlers settlers go back home.

Palestine is not your home.

We don't want no two-state.

We want '48.

We don't want no two-state.

We want all of it. "


(And in another video of the same protest)


"There is only one solution. 

Intifada revolution..."


Last week I wrote about how shaken I was... raging, crying, spinning stories in my head, after what I was experiencing as a subterranean but somewhat unclear threat. 

This week is different. I feel light-hearted and relaxed. The protesters shown here are so transparent with their intent that I don't question myself an iota. I don't have to ask if I'm overthinking. The intent in this video is clear. No Israel. No two-state solution. They want it all. They don't even want Zionists here in Bergen County. (Interesting to note that a large number of those attending this event apparently drove in from other towns.) As the protest continued, apparently one man with a flag began banging on -- and damaging -- cars as they passed. Paint guns were used. The police made no arrests.

Meanwhile, as I was watching videos like of the protest in my whatsapp feed, my husband was getting a haircut on the other side of town. He said there was a group of Muslims there too. A speaker talked about how fortunate we are in the U.S. He said that even the poorest of us don't experience hunger the way it exists in other parts of the world. He talked about the value of fasting during Ramadan and how it creates sensitization and kindness towards others round the world. As he was speaking, children entertained themselves in a bounce house. 

I miss this face of Islam. I miss the kindness, receptivity and love I used to known amongst my friends. Between us now is rhetoric, flag-waving, rage and assumption. Nothing I can do about that right now. 

The process I've been going through has been profound. I used to shake my head at people whom I thought were bigoted and paranoid about anti-Semitism. I thought they were deluded and wrong to to believe peace was impossible. I wanted to be more open-minded, more willing to hear alternate perspectives. But now I've heard clearly just what I -- we -- are up against. I'm not deluding myself anymore. 

I continue to check my integrity. I do not write hate. I make sure that things I say and post are true to my heart and do not contain the kinds of lies that are spun against Jews, Israelis and especially Israeli soldiers. 

I also protect myself. I am grateful for the reminder I received from U. today about the holy face of Islam, but this does not make me eager any time soon to step into an environment in which I am vulnerable. There are plenty of the "other kinds" of folks out there right now. 

1 Comments:

Blogger Ckuttner said...

Lovely and moving.
I struggle with wanting to educate the protestors, how it really is, what the history was, how taking hostages is wrong, etc., but then I realize that I might as well be trying to teach calculus to a dog. They won't hear it, won't sway, so why bother?

3:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home