Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Road Rage

I don't normally get mad when I'm driving, but...

And this is similar to how some of my students both present and past get so incredibly upset when someone else is not following the rules.

So I was driving to work and was stopped at a traffic light in Englewood. I was first in line and all of a sudden I heard sirens, lots of them.

(People don't stop for ambulances here. It's not consistent with their busy schedules and important obligations.)

I couldn't tell if the sirens were behind me or in the street that was crossing perpindicular to me and I heard people honking too, so I pulled as close to the curb as a could. This fat a-- limo barged past me, wedging into my space, like he was going to cross the road. I could just tell the driver was thinking, "Yeah, get out of the way dumb Corolla girl."

Another couple of feet and he would have been mowed down by a firetruck, ambulance and I think one other emergenc vehicle. As soon as they were gone he zoomed through the intersection to take his precious cargo, whoever the hell it was, to whatever important gold-plated location they were going to.

Why did this make me so mad?

I drove to work afterwards telling myself that I am more elevated than he is.

It only helps a little to feel superior to people who drive in ways that can kill other people. (This includes talking on cell. phones... I'm not going to stop harping on that.)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home