Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Monday, October 29, 2012

Hurricane Sandy Part 1

We've had storms out here before, more than anything I ever had in the NW. We've even had warnings before with people preparing, but never anything like this. On Friday I got lost on an errand because every other turn had PSE&G cutting back trees and trying to prepare power lines. Last night while driving ND home from a birthday party we had to navigate around an enormous generator near a hospital supply store. Right now there is just wind.

I think we're as ready as can be. We're stocked up on food and water and plan to sleep downstairs in the guest room tomorrow night in the event of falling trees. At this point there is nothing much else to be done except to catch up on school work and writing that I had wanted to do yesterday when I was preparing instead.

Our school is very conservative about taking off days so I realize that there isn't a chance we will be going tomorrow, we've only been informed so far of today's cancellation. Yesterday while ND was t the birthday party ND and I went out for dinner together. While there a man in a kippah at the opposite wall took a phone call on his cell., then informed his kids there would be no school. There are settings in which strangers don't talk to each strangers, and there are settings and times in which everyone is suddenly a bonded friend. So...

"Which school?" I asked.

"YNJ."

"I'm waiting for Noam," I said, wondering if he saw the Yeshivat Noam Staff emblem on my sweatshirt.

"They do these things in groups," he said.

Sure enough, two minutes my phone began to ring.

I'll try my best to continue to post. I'm doing so on Facebook too to reassure friends and family that we're fine but also to record the events as best I can. It goes without saying that if (and when?) we lose power the updates will have to wait but that doesn't mean we aren't fine.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home