Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

What am I supposed to learn from this?

It's been a month and 16 days this time since I last got sick. Of course, this one actually started around the 13th at Purim. I've been holding it off with homeopathic stuff and it finally just needed to come out completely.

I'm trying to figure out on different levels what I'm supposed to learn from getting sick all the time. One is just the practical pieces of being careful around all the virus-carrying children I teach. I am new to this part of the country and immune to a lot less.

But I also know that some everyday lifestyle things that don't seem to hurt others really hurt me. When I eat sugar or dairy products like cheese I find I am much more likely to come down with illnesses than others. I can fill it almost instantly. Wednesday, for example, is pizza day at school. My throat gets raspy within my buckling and having a piece of that wonderful junk food because it produces more disease-catching phlegm in my throat.

Some people don't believe me on this, but I've tested it and found it to be true. Why would I want to believe this it if it weren't true?

Here's one thing that I don't like about it but sometimes I feel is the message... one of the justifications for keeping Kosher is that it separates us from non-Jews at least partially in that most intimate of settings in which people usually meet, eating.

Well, these food restrictions that Hashem has sent me, are they supposed to continue to separate me in some way? If so, why? As evidence by this blog in which I am sometimes more forthcoming than I sometimes in with people in real life, I want to learn to be more comfortable with interacting with others. So how shall I do that if I can't eat the food they're eating and seem like a wet blanket because of it?

Maybe the food is a shortcut and I need to find other ways to connect.

And maybe I just need to take care of myself better in other ways. I'm home from work for this and feeling guilty because of it again. Instead let me try to thank myself for taking care of myself.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home