Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Response To Baby Einstein Comments

I've been wanting for some time to respond to the many comments to my Baby Einstein entry.

First, in response to Alina's description of the need to use movies now and then as a necessity with such a large and busy family. I'm certainly in no position to judge a parent who needs to use technology in that way when options are limited.

Also, as Alissa pointed out, some programming can be quite educational, and the kids who watch them may get something out of them.

However, there are several other things that bother me greatly.

1. This is the most obvious, and I believe everyone agrees. President Bush has no business doing product placement during his State of the Union address. He could be marketing just about anything and I'd feel the same way. (To be fair, if the product was something that will do wonders in the area of environmentalism... such as talking about hybrid cars or gDiapers.) But of course, his intention was to talk about people, not about products. So he should have stuck with that goal.

2. An additional comment about product placing in a State of the Union address. I believe Bush thought it would be appropriate because, after all, he was talking about something FOR THE CHILDREN. I'm so tired of politicians getting points for caring about THE CHILDREN. Just because you're doing something for them, doesn't mean the thing you're doing is laudable. You might as well say that you are drilling for oil or chopping down a rainforest FOR THE CHILDREN. It doesn't automatically mean it's a good idea.

3. I did some research in a science and ethics class at one point about television and children. What surprised and resonated with me was the question of what the medium itself does to children. Back when people were first starting to worry about the effects of television on children, the concern seemed primarily to be about content. If children watched violent programming, would they become violent? However, what some researchers found was that it was not necessarily about the content of the show. There were some surprising correlations between TV watching in general and aggression. For example, when comparing the effects of watching Mister Rogers vs. Sesame Street, children showed more aggression with the latter. This was explained as being caused by the short and choppy pace of the show as compared to Fred Rogers' slow pace. (I really admire that man, by the way.)

Now, I'm going to be completely honest... I don't think I've ever actually watched Baby Einstein, but I think at least it's slow and gentle. So in that sense, this particular kind of video might be less harmful.

But 4.... and I think this is my biggest annoyance with products such as Baby Einstein as well as almost all children's movies. Marketing towards children is still marketing and to a hugely vulnerable group. I'm not talking about the children as the vulnerable group so much as the parents. A new movie comes out and as long as it's rated G it's somehow considered good for kids. It doesn't matter how fast, insulting or silly it is. More often than not I resent children's movies because I don't think they respect children or children's natural approach to the world. (Perhaps I should explain this in further depth in another entry.)

However, you get this culture going in which all these movies are somehow considered not only appropriate, but GOOD for kids. And then you throw in something for even younger little children. And parents, who have more and more been taught to believe what their told about what their child MUST HAVE, believe that if they don't buy this thing, their kid won't be as smart as the neighbor's kid. Just look at the title Baby Einstein.

Remember, the American Pediatric Association recommends NO SCREEN TIME for kids until age 2, and plenty of other people would recommend against it for much older children as well.

Now, my hope is that we will be able to keep ND pure of TV at least until that age, but I'm going to try to be honest. TV is like candy. We all know that candy is not good for you, but most people have it sometimes anyway, and I can't promise that I can be perfect in that. I think it's healthy for U. and I as adults to use TV sometimes to unwind together at the end of the day, and ND is now usually sitting with us at that time, not watching, but present. Is this a mistake? Maybe.

So there you have it. I hope that was all clear enough. I'm too tired to write anymore and you're probably too tired to read anymore anyway!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the real reason Bush gave the free promo for Baby Einstein is that the creator's hubby is a major Republican donor. If the prez can get Baby Einstein to make more money, maybe hubby will give a larger chunk of it to the Republican Party. I think we give the prez too much credit to think think that he did any research beyond the list of big donor names.

-Bat-Ami

1:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with all of it. I do think, based on some friends' reactions, that sometimes, when you're sleep-deprived, and have so much on your plate, and baby hasn't stopped crying for 3 hours, and you're are at the end of your rope, it's easy to plop baby in front of Barney/Wiggles/Baby Einstein, etc. for a break.

And for the record, having watched many Baby Einsteins a gazillion times, they ain't slow and gentle. I guess, maybe they are gentle-ish, but when watching BE when babysitting, I at least try to involve the child in what's going on, and I barely got the word "butterfly" out of my mouth when the scene changed.

I personally wonder if the "mtv mind set" (fast scene changes) has contributed to the slow death of considerateness and thoughtfulness. We don't have "time" to be considerate and thoughtful anymore. Gotta run, gotta fly, gimme my stuff so I can go...

3:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there

My name is Jason Graham-Nye and I am one of the founders (the less important one - my wife Kim is the brainstrust)of gDiapers.
Thank you so much for mentioning us on your blog.
We are from Australia and moved to the US to launch the product 3 years ago.
We have been amazed at the money involved in politics here. We are just back from Australia and the big news was that the Labour Party (Democrats) had a mighty "War Chest" of $20 Million - double the Republicans! That wouldn't pay for a lunch with big Jack Abramoff!
Australia is in Republican hands so other than the lesser amount of cash politics, we are pretty much in the same boat as the US - lost in Iraq etc etc...The environment is the key difference. Bananas are $2 per banana - not per pound because of a hurricane in Queensland. Sydney's dam is at 30% so you can only water your garden on Sundays - 8am - 9am. And look out if you want to wash your car at home - a $500 fine! And there are water police. The Government has pledged $10 billion to "drought-proof" Australia. Desalination, wave power, solar, wind you name it. Maybe there is a difference- we don't have a big oil industry.

I wish I had seen W mention Baby Einstein - how odd. I need to get in touch with Barack or Hilary ( which horse to back I wonder...any tips?) and see who is going to spruik gDiapers for us...!

Cheers

Jason

7:31 PM

 
Blogger AMJ said...

Sorry to be so slow in responding, but we have had company. Arwen, I agree absolutely with what you said. We also kept S most off TV until he was two and I wish we had been able to do it longer. Now if we can just keep the twinies from seeing too much before then!
PS My sister noted that when she watched too much TV while her son was in the room he got quite aggitated.
So now she just watched 1 or 2 programs a day with him.

Alina

3:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home