Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

And Even Better

Well, not only did we have a good night, but we're having a good day too.

First some background... yesterday I got a call from a woman whose mother taught U. in his home town. The woman (not the mother), in fact went to school with U.'s oldest brother. Confused? Don't worry. It doesn't really matter. She now lives nearby and called because she had a present for us from her mom.

When I went to pick it up last night (yay! an outing!) she told me she works for Mary Kay cosmetics and asked if I would come today to special thing where she could practice a makeover on me. (In other words, to pitch a product.) Now, I assume you all know this, but I almost never never never wear makeup. When I saw almost, what that means is that I tried it for the first time last year (age 29!) and use it for special occasions and when I feel like I want to look a little better on a bad day. I usually use it so sparingly even I can't see it in the mirror. Well, I went. It was fun both as a makeover in and of itself (I did look pretty good afterwards) and also just because it was funny to me that I was doing it. I even almost succumbed to buying stuff, but in the end just bought one small thing because I liked it but also kind of as a courtesy. As much as I liked the new look, I kept reminding myself that this "group" didn't fit me. It wasn't hard to keep that in mind when the women starting talking so comfortably about scheduled convenient c-sections.

Just after we left there, ND suddenly really wanted to nurse. So as we sat in the back of the car in the parking lot nursing, I spontaneously made a phone call to a friend I made at the La Leche League meeting last week. She had a book I wanted to borrow and so ND and I went over to visit with her and her son.

I have so much in common with here. We're both "natural" types in a sea of "not-so-naturals." We asked each other questions about how we decide things about raising our babies with our spouses, and about the conflicting advice we get from others. (Not just conflicting, but unsolicited as well.) On top of that, she's Canadian. (I told her I should have guess it because she's so low-key.) And she and her husbnad once traveled to Japan - the only frum couple I know to have done that, and we've talked about wanting to try that ourselves some day.

In any case, we're hoping to get together often and soon.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh cool, there's another granola for you to hang with ;) You never wear makeup? I don't recall seeing you with makeup, but then, I don't really pay attention to that.

I have a friend who refers to me as Ivory Soap - he says I'm 99 44/100% pure because I never wear makeup or put stuff in my hair. I guess if I stopped shaving, I'd make it to 100%?! heh

5:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home