Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Friday, January 19, 2007

Breastfeeding Activism

When I checked out of the supermarket yesterday I received a coupon (through the cash register) for baby formula. This happens every time I shop there and buy baby stuff. (I think it was diapers this time.)

I just wrote to the company and said the following:

"I have a new baby at home and, naturally, have recently begun to buy baby-related products at {store name}. I find that at the end of every purchase I receive from the cash register a coupon for baby formula. Surely you're aware that breastmilk is healthier for babies than formula but that the vast amount of marketing from formula companies, in addition to the lack of community support, often leads to women becoming pressured to stop breastfeeding.

It disturbs me, then, that of all the products you might advertise for babies, it is formula that I consistently see in your coupons. Would you be willing to reconsider what message you are sending?

Thanks for your time."

I realize that they are probably paid by the formula companies to do those ads, and that moms who do need to use formula really benefit from the coupons. But I need to do my part too.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said you wrote "to the company" - you mean the supermarket, yes?

Good for you. For a variety reasons, many women cannot or choose not to breastfeed, so the coupons I'm sure are helpful. But why formula every time? Why not sometimes diapers or wipes, etc. Or is it just the weirdest coincidence ever that you just *happen* to always get the formula coupons?!

I'd be interested in knowing if you get a reply.

1:51 PM

 
Blogger Evenewra said...

Yes, I meant the supermarket and I will make a point of posting any response I get.

2:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home