Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Idealism Vs. Power

I'm working on the project eluded to in number 3 of Earth Day. I still have to keep it a little quiet for now, but I was just talking to U. about the sad phenomenon of how often the age in a person's life when they have the most idealism is not the same age as when they have the most power.

I was talking about how childhood is when people learn about what's wrong in the world and want so BADLY to fix it, but so rarely can. I was talking about how unfair (though I still think it's necessary and right in another way) it is to teach children about diminishing rainforests when there is really nothing they can do to stop a bulldozer powered by fat cat wealth and greed.

I think it's really important to put into children's grasp the ability to make an ACTUAL difference, even if it's small. I think that leaves them less helpless in the present, and more idealistic and responsible in the future when they have the power to do more.

(Power to do more, by the way, can be good or bad power. Everyone has power as they grow up, but many don't realize it and cause a lot of damage along the way, whether emotional, environmental or whatever.)

May everyone in the world use their power to influence both themselves and others to do good.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in the 6th grade, I was in the Student Council. Even at 12, I realized the futility of having a student council in elementary school (I mean, please.), but we had an awesome advisor. He recognized exactly what you are talking about, and found ways to give us power.

Our school flag was falling apart - horrifying in a school full of military dependents! - so he had me write the Governor of my home state, Connecticut, to request a flag. I still remember how it felt when that flag arrived in Germany.

We also got a petition going against the seal hunt in Canada. Even though we never got a response (bad Trudeau), that's something else that has stuck with me.

I know I said I was in 6th grade, but I was the oldest student. We had 3rd and 4th graders in our council. I think 3rd grade was the cut-off.

Anyway, my point is, in this very long, blog-jacking post, there are ways to make kids feel powerful - how about a petition to the president (you and I know that's futile and Bush doesn't even know what a rainforest is, but the kids don't know that)? Or a project that involves the kids growing plants (leafy, rainforest-y plants) or raising money to plant trees in Israel or elsewhere, etc., etc.

(ps: here's hoping blogger doesn't eat *this* comment!)

7:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home