Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Thursday, May 31, 2007

It's Not About Me


I just finished an anecdotal deadline, have to get up early for a meeting, am exhausted, the place is a mess, and I'm going to put off grocery shopping until tomorrow. (I opted for doing the shopping and am leaving U. with kitchen cleaning. Brings a whole new meaning to "fair trade.")

So naturally, I'm blogging instead of going to bed.

Just a quick note... my assistant's fiance was recently diagnosed with leukemia. It's very jarring for everyone of course. She's handling it well.

I, on the other hand, keep wanting to talk about me and my experiences. I don't like that tendency. I want to be helpful without needing to talk about myself. I think this is a sign of my not being completely healed from the experience yet. I suppose if I were, I wouldn't feel the same urgency to retell it.

I'm trying not to be critical of myself about this. Just be aware and sensitive to it. I can always listen to her, then go tell my story somewhere else if I have to.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny, I've been meaning to send you this article for ages:
http://www.vancourier.com/issues07/042107/news/042107nn8.html

Maybe some of that need to talk about your own experiences falls under what they talk about in the article. Sort of like ptsd for cancer victims?

Definitely don't be too hard on yourself. And I think, definitely share your experiences. I can't imagine any circumstance where you (the figurative "you") wouldn't want to hear how someone else, thank G-d, survived what you're going through.

Hope I'm not being too presumptious by sending the article; I just thought it must be gratifying to hear some acknowledgement that after surviving cancer, life doesn't just go back to being all peachy and pre-cancer perfect. No matter how much you (or other people) may want it to.

(foo. blogger used to let me put my email addy in "web page" but not any more.)

8:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home