Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Memorial Day

Most of what I'm going to say here is basically inconsequential... just daily things we did for those who just might be interested. But at the end is something I did that I'm proud of hope you can consider doing to.

I spent Memorial Day not memorializing a heck of a lot of anything... just life pre-house, I suppose. Bergen County which is one of the most Jewish counties in the entire U.S. ironically still has "blue laws" on the books that prevent most stores from being open on Sundays. So Jews have to do all shopping either on weekdays or wait for days like Memorial Day. So we did a ton of shopping for the house... no parades or anything although I did buy two poppies from a veteran.

We also went to a BBQ where I was happy to be with friends but disappointed at how quickly the conversation turned towards really annoying and crass subjects. I felt bad for indulging in dead animals and talking about nothing (and gross things) on a free no-work day put aside to appreciate people who put their lives at risk for us.

I did have fun sending a few cards to soldiers through Let's Say Thanks.

That still felt impersonal.

Now, my assistant has a brother who serves in the army. So here's the simple (but intimidating) thing I did. I wrote her an email and asked for his address (also email) and I wrote him a real thank you note.

That's all. And I didn't even get it done on Memorial Day, but a few days after instead.

I'm sure Thank You is always appreciated.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home