Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Aloe

I eluded recently to being way behind because there was a post I had not yet attended to. One reason I haven't done it is that I wasn't sure where to look for a particular photo, my favorite. I've just stumbled upon it so no more procrastinating.

And here's the photo of Aloe when we were driving cross country to move here:
She died on May 7th after surviving for so long from kidney failure and possibly also cancer. She was a precious, sweet cat and I cared for her a good 5 years after her diagnosis, giving her fluids through a needle beneath the skin every night, taking her on emergency trips to the vet and spending a ridiculous amount of money on her.

Her death was not easy in any way. She was in pain. It was frightening. It was sad. I cried a lot and I stopped caring about anything else for a few days. 

It still makes me sad to write about her or the way her life ended.

My brother said it best. She was with me through many stages of my life. I adopted her when I had cancer. She moved with us to Vancouver and then to an apartment in NJ and finally to our house. She saw me in labor and put up with ND from birth to age 6 1/2. 

She had beautiful green eyes, incredibly soft fur and a gentle little soul. 

Some things are easier now. I don't have to worry about her peeing on things. I can go away now without planning for who will care for her. I have a few more minutes in each day now without having to care for her, but the house feels empty when I come downstairs in the morning to start my day and I'm the only one awake in the house.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your furry friend. She sounds like she was beautiful--both outside and inside. May G-d be with you and fill your empty mornings with His love and peace.
Blessings,
Aimee
PS: What a beautiful name--I think of the healing properties of Aloe (Vera), and how your Aloe helped you through your healing process.

6:51 PM

 
Blogger Evenewra said...

Yes, Aimee. That's how I named her. She had beautiful deep green eyes that made it clear I had to name her for a plant, and she was soothing to me, so I named her for Aloe Vera.

Thank you for your sympathy.

8:16 PM

 
Blogger Ckuttner said...

Lovely...I remember our going to Cat Adoption Team to help her find you. I was so concerned about your cancer, and finding Aloe helped me focus on something that was so positive for both of us!

Love...your Dad!

10:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home