Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Shavuah tov... please please please

I didn't have to feel guilty about not going to work on Friday because we got snowed in. Yay! Tonight I tried to give U. a ride to the bus stop but now I really understand what "snowed in" means. I couldn't even open the door of the car. We need a shovel.

Went to shul today and discovered:

1. That I really have made some friends here that I really enjoy talking to.
2. That talking makes me feel worse.

Darnit.

I finally stopped taking the cough suppressants which means my throat is no longer swollen. Guess I needed to cough up some nasty stuff. (Sorry for being so graphic.) But I'm still weak and my throat is still dry and I just don't know how I'll manage this week. I really need to try. I'll just have to take it as easy as I can. Allow myself to take more breaks and go home early if I have to.

Remembering this Rebbe Nachman quote:

When asked how things are don't whine and grumble about your hardships. If you answer "Lousy," then God says, "You call this bad? I'll show you what bad really is!"

When asked how things are and despite hardship or suuffering you answer, "Good," then God says, "You call this good? I'll show you what good really is!"

One final note... though I hope I'm not crowding out the rest with this final bit. Taylor Mali whom I don't know, and Ben whom I do have both gotten me turned on recently Billy Collins. A poem from Sailing Alone Around The Room for your reading pleasure:

Introduction to Poetry

I ask them to take a poem
and hold it up to the light
like a color slide

or press an ear against its hive.

I say drop a mouse into a poem
and watch him probe his way out,

or walk inside the poem's room
and feel the walls for a light switch.

I want them to water-ski
across the surface of a poem
waving at the author's name on the shore.

But all they want to do
is tie the poem to a chair with rope
and torture a confession out of it.

They begin beating it with a hose
to find out what it really means.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Yoel Natan said...

Heehee! That Billy Collins poem made my morning! :)

12:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home