Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Cop Correction

Yet another colleague came into the "cop" debate and this time challenged my assertion that "cop" is short for "copper" as in copper helmets that police officers wear. This other guy said it was Constable On Patrol. I looked it up and found that we were both wrong (though both of our assumptions were also published).

I asked my friend to at least avoid telling this other guy I was wrong. I've got my pride. But I've got my ethics too which is why I'm being honest about it online. Go figure.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but shouldn't this other person know the truth? ;)

funny, I always thought "cop" was somehow related to the usage "to cop a plea." Like somewhere down the line the words had some commonality or something. Who knew?

3:25 PM

 
Blogger Evenewra said...

He actually asked me today and I told him. Now I"m going to ask my dad to look it up in the Oxford English Dictionary.

3:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home