Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Food

I'm the sort of person who likes to make a resolution in my life and then stick with it. Some of the changes I've wanted to make in my life have resulted in a lot of success, but others haven't.

One promise I make myself again and again is to cook more regular meals at home. Instead what happens is I make a lot of food for Shabbat which then lasts us through the week with sandwiches and other quick meals to fill in the gaps. Truth is, I usually cook for myself as U. and I have such different schedules and different tastes. However, more than that, I simply don't have time with my busy schedule to cook more, and when I do have time, I use it on other things... like blogging (or putting away laundry etc.)

Here at my grandparents it seems like each day is just sort of about getting from one meal to the next. I realize that part of this is that with us as visitors they might not be sticking to their regular routine. But in the morning we have breakfast, then do some kind of shopping in the morning. Then a quick lunch and nap, then groceries, kill time, and cook before dinner. Right now everyone's out on the back porch and soon we'll open up a watermelon.

I'm enjoying the visit, but it's hard to know what to do with myself. I guess I mustn't forget that just days ago I was rushing to complete too many things in a day in order to finish off the school year, prepare my apartment for a quick visit from my brother and niece (which I realize I haven't written about...), pack and come here.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home