Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Wimberly

I'm in Texas right now with my mom and visiting my grandparents. They live in an area near a place called Wimberly, Texas. The last time I saw my grandparents was three years ago when they were moving from their home in Houston to be closer to my uncle and aunt and their son. (My hair was just starting to grow back then.) So now they live way out here in the country and it's a totally different world.

When you come to the neighborhood where they live you enter a gated off area with a code to open a big fence. The fence is not to keep people out particularly as there is really no one around to come in, but to keep the deer in and protect them from wandering onto the highway. There are so many kinds here including white deer and antelope and they come to my grandparents yard to munch on any spilled bird seed or leftover veggies my grandparents leave out.

I'm hoping to post some pictures eventually but am have still more problems with my camera. Hopefully can get some new rechargeable batteries today that will help it function adequately and I'll be able to post the pictures after I get a new part for the camera.

In any case, one of the most important parts of this trip for me is noticing our interactions -- me with my mom, my mom with her parents, me with her parents etc. It's a lot harder for parents and children to get along than grandparents and children, and I see my mom engaging in similar conflicts and annoyances as I do with her. I tell myself that this is just part of the package of family and the important piece is to be aware and not worry about it. The love is there too. I'm having a very nice time being here with my mom through this and am grateful to see my grandparents.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home