Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Did Something Right

A few weeks ago I was parking in Shop Rite and I got spacey and cocky and thought I could make it into a spot without hitting the car next to me.

I wasn't so lucky. I scraped up the car and was really tempted to walk away, but my conscience got the best of me and I left a note on his windshield.

For the first time ever, the guy actually called back and asked to be reimbursed for the repairs. I was not happy about it, but I didn't complain. We took care of it right away and the deal is done.

Yesterday we got a letter in the mail from the guy:

"I want to thank you for your honesty and living up to the meaning of personal responsibility. Your actions and quick handling of the unfortunate parking incident is one that is an example of personal integrity. You are a truly decent person and though I never met you, I have the highest respect and regard for who you are."

I guess it paid off.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you, and wow - good for him for writing such a nice note. Maybe you made a difference in how much he will trust the next stranger who touches his life... nice, eh?

I bumped someone in a parking lot once and made a little scrape on the next car. I left a note, but a little while later it started to rain. I never heard from the guy, and I always wondered if it was because the note got gunged in the rain. Did the guy see the remains of the note? Or did he think someone just hit him and left? Or did he get the note and just choose not to pursue it? Ah, the guilt - 20 years later!

10:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home