Many thoughts about the world, meditation, parenting, Judaism, pregnancy, teaching, cancer survivorship, moving from West Coast to East and more.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Wheelchairs

Strange thought hit me this morning.

When I arrive at the ER for labor, they'll probably make me ride in a wheelchair to my room. I suppose I might be grateful for this at the time so I can get to my room quicker, but I really have an aversion to wheelchairs.

When I had cancer I used to go for long hikes the day before a chemo. It made me feel powerful. Then, by the end of the chemo I could barely walk and I would need the wheelchair. (Once home, I had to hold onto furniture or to U. to get around for that first evening back.)

As a result, I really hate wheelchairs.

In Vancouver, I had a a few months on my hands until the government would let me work. I wanted to volunteer at an old age home. But when I went to the meeting for potential volunteers, I just started crying. What set me off was the wheelchairs.

I guess when the time comes, I'll just say, "I may be in a wheelchair, but I'm so powerful because I'm about to give birth!"

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Yoel Natan said...

I'll just say, "I may be in a wheelchair, but I'm so powerful because I'm about to give birth!"

Shyeah! You can't beat that for an awesomely powerful way to reclaim and transform a personal trigger for old pain.

2:27 AM

 
Blogger keema said...

The nurses let me push an empty wheelchair to the labor & delivery room. Maybe they took pity on me because I'd just transitioned in the car? Don't know.

Anywhichway, I pray for a positive and powerful birth experience for you!

11:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home