Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

First Day Of Daycare



So you know I've already been back at work. Today was ND's first day of daycare because Emarcy watched her last Thursday and Friday. And yesteday the daycare didn't open due to snow. My school, however, DID open so U. stayed home and watched her while he tried to work from home. So today was my 4th day at work and her first at daycare.

She did pretty well except that:

1. She barely slept -- only an hour whereas she usually takes 2 2-hour naps. She was too excited to be there. I think, too, that she's used to having her morning naps either in the car or on me while I wear her in a sling. Lying flat in a crib is too distracting during the day. Tomorrow they'll try her in her little swing/chair that is special just for her.

2. She cried when some other babies cried.

Both of those make me a little sad. With the first I can't help but wonder if she was looking for me. Although more realistically, she may have just been checking the place out. Also, I arrived at 4 and they gave her a bottle at 3:30, so in theory she shouldn't have been hungry, but she nursed like crazy when I arrived and fell asleep quickly in my arms.

Again, this is a double-edged event, in my mind. It means she wants and needs me for comfort. It also means she didn't have me for comfort those 6 hours I was away.

Tomorrow is our longest day of the week because of meetings and when I'm most needed for the "support" part of my job at work. I'm happy that Tuesday and Wednesday are our long days, Monday and Thursday are "regular" and Friday is quite short. That means I can start the week out easy, then get over the hardest part and sort of coast to the end with her.

Oh, I forgot to mention that after work we had to run an errand, then stop home long enough to pick up the cat and schlep her to the vet where we had to wait very long for an appointment and we didn't even get home until 7:20 PM!!!! So much for the stack of work I brought home. It'll have to wait.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course she wants and needs you for comfort! You're her mom. Duh. ;)

But maybe she was just over stimulated - all sorts of new things and people to keep her interested all day. And being interested in new stuff all day long uses a lot of energy, so perhaps that's why she nursed liked crazy when you picked her up.

It's a big adjustment for both of you, but it sounds like you're both going to be just fine ;)

7:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home