Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Pain



When I had cancer, I remember being quite certain that it was harder for those around me than for myself. I knew I could manage the pain and problems that came with the treatments, but all my family and friends could do was watch me go through it.

Well, now that I'm a mother, I'm starting to get a tiny -- thank G-d it's so tiny -- taste of that. Three times now ND has been hurt in my care. Once was a snap pinching her skin, once was a fingernail clipping mishap (--both of those of course triggered my guilt button pretty heavily --) and today she got her first shots.

We've been researching vaccines pretty heavily, trying to decide what is most appropriate and safe for ND. (It's much more complicated than I thought. There are some vaccines that are important but which can come when she's older, others that are unnecessary but still considered worthwhile etc.) Well. today after a talk with the doctor, we started the first ones. I held her hand and looked close to her sweet smiling face as the nurse did THREE injections. For each, ND screwed up her face and screamed. The second was the worst... she opened her mouth wide, but no sound came out for a moment as she adjusted to the shock of that needle in her leg. But truthfully, the whole thing went very fast, and she didn't cry at all once it was over. Good for her. Such a trooper! I think she's a little sore tonight, but otherwise she seemed to completely forget about the pain the moment the process was over.

I, on the other hand, cried for a long time. The instant the final needle came out she was in my arms and I was ready to nurse her. But I was gushing so much milk that she had to pull off to get air and I continued to leak heavily.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will preface this comment by saying that I have a degree in public health and feel very strongly about vaccinating children. So although in the moment it is awful to see your child in pain, it is passing and usually brief. You are saving her from potential illnesses which can be very painful and have negative lasting effects. I actually looked forward to the days when G. would get vaccinated because I knew he would take a monster nap afterwards. No such luck with E.
-Bat-Ami

1:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason I've been so much more sensitive about things like this for Theo than I was for Avi. I had no problem with Avi's circumcision or immunizations, but with Theo I was seriously considering not having him circumcised. I have major guilt pangs the night before and day of Theo's well baby checks. Theo seems to be a more sensitive guy overall, so maybe I'm just responding to their personalities. I haven't figured it out yet.

3:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home