Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Monday, September 10, 2007

Teaching Log #6: Back To School Night

Just got home from Back to School Night. Won't write long...

But Back To School Night is different from Curriculum Night. It's supposed to be about procedures etc. However, someone asked tonight, "Where should the kids be in math by the end of the year?"

I tried to explain:

1. That's really a Curriculum Night question.
2. That's not really an easy-to-answer question. Our math program revisits each area: addition, subtraction, etc., but revisits again and again rather than just doing addition one month, subtraction the next etc.
3. The teachers expect to teach certain ideas, but don't expect the kids to necessarily master them then.
4. There are too many areas to address in a single answer.

I don't think I got any of those ideas across well. He asked again, "Where should they be?" and he looked annoyed.

I'm worried about it now. Worrywart Evenewra. I guess the good news is that I can address it again on curriculum night.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home