Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Etrog Basket



There is another benefit to last Sunday's event. While sitting and waiting for customers I got a lot of work done on this etrog basket and today I finished it! I started this over three years ago after Sukkot when I was living in Vancouver. I'm very slow finishing craft projects anyway, but this took especially long. Except for the stick I used to fasten it closed, the whole thing is made of lulav palms. They dry out very quickly and are too difficult to use about two months after Sukkot. So each year I've had to wait to start again. (You might notice that the top half is green around the periphery. That's because those are the freshest palms. They'll dry up and turn beige like the rest of it.)

Thanks to everyone who donated lulavim to this project. It turns out I needed far fewer than I expected, but I don't think I could have completed this just with my own.

Thanks!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh THAT's what that thing was ;)

Mazal tov - you've almost inspired me to finish that nearly-done needlepoint that I started, um, 4? years ago...

It's beautiful!

1:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not sure that I had a clue what you were talking about when you first mentioned until I saw the picture. Kol ha-kavod! There is a concept in Jewish Law that once something was used for a mitzvah it should be used again - this is a beautuful fulfillment of the Jewish value of conservation.

4:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home