Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Filthy... Field Trip... Flat Tire... What else starts with F?



Yesterday was cursed. You can't say I have a negative attitude, but I can say that yesterday was cursed.

Left for work early because of a field trip. Once at the car, discovered ND's carrot soup had spilled all over her bag. That's the "filthy" part.

The field trip to the William Steig exhibit in the Jewish Museum would have been lovely except that I had a major struggle with a student that I can't write about here for confidentiality. Meanwhile it was clear the tour guide did not think my students were behaved enough (as I was busy dealing with that one, the others were not following her directions). I'm mad she didn't take more control. Also, she and the guards kicked us out of a room when a bunch of my students touched an item that was irresistible. When one of my parent chaperones said there should have been a cord in front of it, the tour guide said no one had ever touched it before. "No one?" I asked. "My class only?" I was so embarrassed. The other parents said it was BS.

Several other things went wrong once back at school, but I was surviving... looking forward to going to the chiropractor, then home.

Then discovered my flat tire.

With ND in back, in no mood to try and change it myself and called AAA. Here's where you can't say I have a negative attitude. I spent 1/2 hour of the 50 minute wait walking ND in a stroller around the parking lot and looking at geese. Yay! Got my exercise!

Grumble grumble. Gritted teeth...

Writing this at night since I've been lying in bed replaying field trip in my head and wondering about everything I might have done wrong instead of sleeping.



Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

As someone who has worked in a museum, I can assure you that whatever your students touched has already been touched. (Whether or not anyone working at the museum has seen it.) At the Museum of Science, I was often astonished by what visitors did (sometimes the misbehaving visitors were adults). One teen actually grabbed a goldfish (my favorite friendly fish) out of the water! He put it back after I scolded him, and the fish was okay. But geez! Touching the irresistible is one of the least troubling things a museum visitor can do.
So what did your students touch? Just curious.

10:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home