Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Monday, June 23, 2008

Hashem Gave Me A Birthday Gift!

This morning I was very grumpy when I got up and realized it was my birthday and that, once again, I wanted the world to know and celebrate with me, but wasn't prepared. All the time I thought about it before today I didn't really have time or I convinced myself I didn't want anything.

Bull.

So after ND delivered an extraordinary tantrum that actually resulted in my both raising my voice with her and giving her a mom/teacher LOOK, I went to work for today's inservice.

Upon my arrival I discovered that there was a blackout in the school great enough that the electric company had to be called in and all remaining systems turned off until it could be fixed.

We managed to put in a few hours of packing in our room (I and the other teacher who shared the room and our assistant) until it was just too hot and humid. We weren't expected or asked to stay, so they and two other friends came with me to lunch.

What a blessing. It was wonderful company and we talked about things that MATTER to me, like children and teaching "derekh eretz" as well as conspiring a little and talking about good places to vacation.

When I left the room they arranged that my dessert be brought out with a candle and "happy birthday" song, and then they all gave me birthday wishes.

I cried.

They were wonderful wishes.

I won't write it all here, but the first was from my assistant who says I should take care of myself and not just other people.

They also talked me into getting a pedicure and manicure.

I never do that because it just ISN'T ME. I feel like it's something weird that OTHER women do. But then I thought, this really isn't ME. It's not even going to change ME. It's just going to be a fun thing I can try.

So I went and did that too. It was very nice.

I chose lavender color nails.

Now I'll finish the rest of my birthday celebration on Sunday, my Hebrew birthday, by going out with U. and ND.

I'm very into the "birthday week" concept, and this one began beautifully.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home