Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Monday, August 04, 2008

Camped-Out

Friday is the last day of my Backyard Camp.

(We're actually closed today because 5 of the 7 kids and one of the 2 assistants is sick.)

I've complained about camp a lot. I wish I'd gone easier on myself and allowed myself for of a summer. I'm consoled by the fact that, whatever I've done and whatever my other teacher friends have done, we're all in the same boat as August begins, feeling that creep towards the first day back at school again and the worry about what needs to be done.

But regardless of complaints, here is what I gained this summer from my 6-week Backyard Camp for 1-2 year olds.

-I had a very fun time with ND. It was structured and I got to be her teacher instead of our being bored and grumpy together. (I do know that with too much free time, I would not have been as fun of a mom for her.)

-I got to know other toddlers from our shul that I wanted to know better.


-I got to know the parents better too.

-I learned a LOT about management... business management, delegating to assistants, communicating professionally etc.

-Most teachers enjoy the summer to relax so they'll be recharged for the fall. I have been nervous about returning full-time. So this was my chance to PRACTICE getting up early and prove that I can do it. I will still need to get up one hour earlier, but I'm already in a routine where I'm ready to start the work part of my day at 8:30. I just need to adjust now so that I can leave home at about 7:40. I can do it.

-ND got a lot of practice socializing and I got to see her interact with other kids.

-I did have fun afternoons with her.

-I did make money.

-I have often wondered how things would have been if instead of returning to teaching I had started up an in-house daycare. Now I know. I think that teaching is good. I'm glad I do teaching instead.

On another note, things I'd like to do differently:

-More than anything... instead of creating a business next time (should I do this again) I'm going to figure out what I want for me and ND and provide that, then invite others to join. In other words, instead of an 8:30-1:30 business, I'll propose 3 days a week of a playgroup or something like that for as many hours as WE want. I might even do it with another parent so that we have 2 adults in charge. (Hard if we fight for territory, easy if we can share the burdens a bit more.)

-Not worry so much.

I used to think I would want to expand camp... become a director even. I think I'm more interested now in shrinking a little.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home