Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Sunday, January 04, 2009

More About Clothes

Remember my quest to go a year without buying new clothes and see what I learned from it? I'm still learning more. Right now I'm reading Where Am I Wearing? It's a very interesting and readable book about a guy's quest to find out who made the clothes he wears. When I told a friend I was about to start reading it, I mentioned the word "sweatshops" and she said, "You know, it's complicated," implying that you can't just boycott clothing production. She was right and this book is helping me learn a lot.

But until I figure out what companies I feel most comfortable supporting and finding how to do so responsibly as a consumer, I still need a new warm hat for the very cold winter we're having. Yesterday I was lamenting not knowing how to just go online and buy something handmade and know I wasn't hurting anyone. Especially with the US economy in such bad shape, I'd like to support a real person who has worked for and needs the cash.

This morning I took a few minutes to sift through and delete some old emails, and found one for my mom with a link to just what I needed. I just ordered a cute hat from a local woman in Portland, OR off Etsy.

And I didn't even have to leave my desk to do it!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelsey said...

Happy hat shopping. Hats are one of those things it's pretty easy to buy locally. Most grandmas can whip up a hat in a day or two.

I hope you enjoy the book. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Kelsey

2:05 PM

 
Blogger Evenewra said...

You don't know about where I live! Only box stores and busy people with no time for creativity!

6:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home