Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I'm 5

Last week was my 5 year post-cancer anniversary.

Over the weekend I had a few very close friends over, one from out of town, and I talked deeply about my memories from being sick.

It's amazing to me how there are some things I'm still working through, and other things that have shifted, and yet other things that just look different now in retrospect. Retelling my story is like rereading one and finding new clues in it. I feel like I'm uncovering my past to help me look into my future and into myself.

So let's see... that's 2 years that I've retold my story, one year that I did ice cream, one year that I intended to do both but it didn't work out for various reasons, and one year where I tried to be an activist on my remission day.

This year I just needed to go inward, and I want to honor that I may do that again in the future. Maybe not every year, but sometimes.

I can't possibly express just how light and free and joyful I felt the afternoon after we did this. Like a miner or archaeologist, I like to dig deep to find the really good gold.

But the best part is bringing the gold out from below and let it quietly sit in the sun.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home