Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Sunday, March 14, 2010

JOFA and stormy weather


Busy Sunday...

Went today to the JOFA Conference. I'm really glad I went. I feel frustrated so often by what Judaism looks like in Bergen County, or at least within the parts that I see. The JOFA conference, though, is an opportunity to dialogue about change and what-is-possible in the Jewish Feminist world. I don't know yet what to take from my experiences today. I'm still just overwhelmed from going to 4 different talks, most of which related to my thoughts about how to raise a child who is comfortable and powerful in her body, in her womanhood, as well as in her faith and practice. I feel glad that I took the time to brave my way into NY where the action is really happening on these fronts, and deeply confused and frustrated why there was so little representation from my communities (school and shul) over here. I'm glad to say I went with a friend and neighbor with whom I can continue the dialogue, at least.

Meanwhile there have been unbelievable storms here. For over 24 hours the wind blew wildly, raining all the while. I went to shul anyway to see one of the prospective new rabbis speak, but it was dangerous. Two men were actually killed by a falling tree in Teaneck on their way home from shul. Very sad. There is wreckage everywhere. As we drove home exhausted from the conference today, my friend and I were delayed by trying to find a way home that wasn't roped off with debris. Above is a picture of what we saw when we first arrived in NY with abandoned and broken  umbrellas positively littering the sidewalk.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger ByTheBay said...

Hi - I know this is kind of random but I found you by googling for JOFA mentions on blogs. I was at the conference today, too, and am in Bergen County and also frustrated by the lack of (religious) Jewish feminism in this area. I know very few likeminded people. I did notice a few women from Netivot Shalom were at the conference today but that's about it. Would love to connect... Drop me a line if you like? 2silverwings (at) gmail (dot) com

1:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home