Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Graduation?

Wow! Just two days left of teaching before I'm DONE for the year.

I just came from a very late-night "graduation" for the grade 7's at the Jewish school where I work. I have to say I was a little skeptical at what to make of it. It was an enormous gala event, clearly a fundraiser for the school, and I don't remember that kind of fanfare for 7th graders in any other place. But to tell you the truth, I'm impressed. The event was primarily in honor (or honour) of the 5 grads, but it was really also about the school itself and how it's been raised up from very little to a clearly growing and thriving community. I feel really honored and proud to have "served" in a place like that during its developmental years. And to think, for those of the kids that had been there since preschool, this really was a big deal, to leave an extended family after TEN years. Quite a landmark.

I enjoyed talking to some of the non-Jewish staff at my table about Jewish identity. They asked me and another teacher about women's hair covering - whether each of us always cover our hair or not. And I said it doesn't just mean how religious or not religious a person she is, but how we kind of communicate where we belong within our community by the clothes we wear. I could go on for hours talking to non-Jews about these things and I love it when they ask. I like taking the role of an authority. Not a rabbinic authority obviously, but sort of a real life authority. Just as I do here on Brainsite.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Evenewra said...

The question actually began with them asking what the deal is with black hats. (I didn't really know except to give my own impressions of them.) Like why do they keep those big hats on whereas in other cultures you're expected to take your hat off for an event or a meal etc. One of our colleagues appeared there wearing a black hat when we had never seen him do so before. Then they were asking about me and another person who was sitting with us, specifically.

So maybe they'd asked before. Maybe they hadn't really had a context before in which they could. A lot of the women from the families either don't cover their hair at all or wear sheitls, so maybe they hadn't thought about it that much.

10:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home