Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

How Much Kosher Pizza Do You Really Need?

My husband flies out to NY/NJ on Wednesday. Hopefully he'll come back with both a job and an apartment. (No, he won't bring them... just secure them... duh.) So already I had to sort out the right school community for me. Now we're looking at living communities.

People say, "Oh, you don't want to live there, that place only has like 10 Kosher restaurants. You should live in such-and-such place which has over 5 kinds of pizza alone."

I don't really care that much how many pizza places there. And I do really love pizza. Giving up eat-out pizza was my last hurdle towards keeping Kashrut completely. (That's a story for another time.) I did that in a place with NO Kosher restaurant options. But now that I have options, one good pizza place amidst Chinese food, Italian food and who knows what else will sufffice in order to make a place more than livable. I have never had Kosher choice like this before.

There was this one day when my husband and I needed to find something fun to do on a Sunday. We didn't have much time and thought we could just squeeze in a trip to a coffee shop. So then we said, "Hey, let's have an adventure," and drove out to the Kosher bakery in the neighboring sort-of town.

When we got there the place was closing and everything yummy was gone. I bought a non-dessert food of some kind that was greasy and slimy and we didn't even have a place to sit. We found a curb outside where we ate our "treats" and I think I cried.

I remember shortly afterwards telling the story of this bakery trip to a Rabbi visiting from Israel, and citing it as proof of my commitment to Judaism.

What's there to prove when it's all at your fingertips? Yes, I want good pizza. But it's a badge of pride to keep Kosher even without it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home