Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Stalking

I awoke this morning thinking about Facebook. Very odd. Actually, I dreamt about a friend that I recently just discovered was on Facebook and as I awoke I was thinking that Facebook makes me miss my friends a lot. It keeps me in touch with them too, at least in theory, but really I can't hang out with them in the sukkah or anywhere else for that matter just because they're on Facebook.

My favorite part of Facebook is posting what I'm up to at any given moment and snooping around looking at what others are up to. It's somewhat creepy really. Reminds me of writing by Paul
Auster. I fell in love with his writing for a little while after I realized he wrote the screenplay for Smoke. One of this obsessions (besides obsession itself) is the idea of being watched. He wrote a story about a guy who hired a private detective to trail himself, just so he could feel it. I don't think I want to be watched, but I do like people knowing a little about what I'm doing.

Which brings me, almost perversely, to Night Of The Hunter which U. and I saw tonight. Very very interesting film. Creepy as hell, particularly for its time, and such fascinating dynamics of good and evil and a villain who just won't stop. "Doesn't he ever sleep?" Also some surprisingly candid sexual issues.

I don't want to give away anymore right now (and need to get to sleep anyway), but I'm just so glad we watched this tonight. Besides, it had Lillian Gish!!!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home