Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Sunday, January 18, 2009

In-auguration or Out

In an hour and 20 minutes ND and I are heading for the airport to visit my grandmother and parents, but I want to take a minute to talk about yesterday.

My awesome friend Emarcy about whom I have so often blogged, came over at 4 AM on Friday night with her husband. They, and a bunch of others who stayed in NY for the night, are heading for the inauguration in DC.

A part of me has been deliriously jealous. I'm not sure what I'd actually do if I went, but I often feel as though I'm missing out on whatever fun things the whole rest of the world must be doing without me. I've always felt this way as my whole life I have spent 99% of my Saturday nights at home. Even a trip to a Starbucks or bookstore feels like a giddy guilty pleasure. Part of this is that I never really know what's going on. Part is that keeping Kosher and Shabbat cuts down on an enormous number of opportunities, part of it is that I'm sometimes shy in crowds and of course now, part of it is that I'm a mom.

On the other hand, I'm pretty darn cool. I do cool crafts sometimes. My Saturday nights are usually devoted to writing, I'm playing music again and biking with my daughter (when it warms up again) and there are many other things about me that I like because of the fact that I like how I'm living.

So instead of being bummed that I'm not going to the inauguration, I think it's cool that I have a cool friend who is doing it.

(Either way, I'm on vacation now, no matter what I'm doing! Thursday U. took off work too and we had a date!!!)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home