Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Monday, August 03, 2009

Portland Bike Ride

Around this time 6 years ago, while I was in the midst of cancer treatment, I went on the Providence Bridge Pedal bike ride with my dad. There were multiple routes available and I remember crying when I ran out of steam and could only manage the 18.5 mile route. (The mileage is actually listed in a poem I included in my just-published book, which is how I remember it.)

Yesterday Dad and I went out again and I wanted to beat that 18.5, but perfectly healthy as I am now, I was still plenty exhausted after just 17 miles. We started at my parents' house in SW, went down SW Taylor's Ferry, crossed the Sellwood Bridge, biked North up to the train bridge, and looped around again.

Along the way we squeezed in a great little trip to the Saturday Market (on a Sunday) and bought lots of homemade stuff.

Ironically, I've forgotten that exercising to the point of exhaustion is sometimes a contributor to insomnia for me which is why I'm up too early.

Here's a picture of the train bridge as it let a sailboat through an my dad fixed a tire. Hello, Willamette!:

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous mamau said...

Arwen, you said there was a picture of a train and I don't see it.
Mamau

7:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home