Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Thursday, April 03, 2014

Manic Activism

I think this tends to happen to me in the spring that I start to feel a sort of manic activism.

I just got home from watching Vegucated with my CSA as a launch for this year's farm share. It got me reflecting once again on my food choices which is a little stressful for me because there are so many "don'ts" and "can'ts," some more self-imposed than others. I try to be mostly vegetarian and would consider veganism if 1. I didn't love cheese but 2. (more importantly) I wasn't allergic to nuts and wary of soy. I would love to craft the most humane food-eating regimen possible, but for my food sensitivities, Kashrut, difficulty to come by certain foods, high risk for breast cancer (and so avoidance of soy) etc. After the images of animal mistreatment, however, I think it's tragic how many people eat meat -- including Kosher -- without fully realizing the impact of their consumption. If they knew, they might still choose to eat meat. But shouldn't they know?

It's not just food on my mind.

I'm also about to start my yearly Tread On Trafficking campaign to combat modern day child sexual slavery.

I'm writing an article about issues of gender in the Orthodox Jewish Community.

I spent a weekend with a dear friend that reminds me of my desire to watch my actions environmentally throughout every part of my day. (Amazing how proximity to the right people can remind you of values you share.)

I also just completed phase 1 of a project in my school to reduce waste production, especially of plastic water bottles. I'm proudest of that because it took a lot of planning and I see the effects immediately, but I'll return to that in another post.

I suppose when I'm like this, it could start getting annoying for others. All this desire to change is a form of perfectionism for the world and we all know how unhealthy perfectionism can be. I may be labeled idealist, self-righteous, obnoxious. They would be fair labels.

However, the alternative is dire. The things I'm aware of that drive me towards working on each of these causes (and more) must be tackled if not actually changed. The fact that so many people are  unaware is frightening.

Like the bumper sticker says, "If you're not pissed off, you aren't paying attention."


There's a gentle and positive way to spread awareness. No one likes to be preached to, but knowledge is power. When someone learns a little about the world and specifically how choices they make can impact the world quite directly, then they have the power to make change.

So I'm writing. I'm hoping to use Facebook to learn and then to pass on what I learn. No one has to click on anything I post, but I hope that I can have an influence all the same on the greater good. Again, it's about proximity. We are influenced by our friends. I learn from mine. I hope mine can learn from me too.

In the meantime, I'm making choices, not all for as much good as I want. It's too hard to do it all -- eat, buy and support all the right things and causes, but I want to know I'm trying my best and maybe inspiring someone else too who, like me, wants to do good, but can't always find a way to do it.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home