Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Sunday, May 29, 2005

It's Done

The following entry was written off-line on:
Saturday, 5-28-05 at 10:50 PM

So I finished my three interviews. I was quite impressed by the last place. It’s a very religious girl’s school that really values good literacy education. The teacher and I speak the same language.

However, I took a different job. I think I knew I would take this one all along. The job I took is full-time, in an area I’m more comfortable living, and just felt like it would fit me more in every way, especially religiously. (Also a better salary.) I’ll be teaching 2nd grade general studies in a school in Teaneck, NJ half the day, and doing some other small group and individual work the rest of the day.

I’m really thrilled.

Now I’ve spent Shabbos in Queens and I’m especially glad that I won’t be living here. Don’t get me wrong (as they say). It’s been fun to spend the weekend in a place filled with other Jews and to be able to go to any of a dozen restaurants, clothing stores, grocery stores or anything that are frum and Kosher. But it doesn’t fit me. Even if it did, this KIND of Judaism doesn’t fit me. And I won’t give details because I don’t want to sound accusatory. But I know I don’t fit in here.
I mustn’t over-idealize Teaneck, since I was only there long enough for the interview and a deli sandwich. People tell me again and again and again that it’ll still be a culture shock, but the female principal at that school had short sleeves. The rabbi did not wear a suit. Those are simply symbols, but it’s one way to show you as a reader that it put me at ease to be there. The principals and I spoke the same educational language. The place simply fit.
This Shabbos in Queens I’ve felt like a round peg in a square hole a billion times, draining me of energy.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home