Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

A choice for something is a choice against something else (and vice versa)

Thank G-d I'm feeling much much better. Still coughing and sneezing and... you don't want to hear all the details of my mucous so I"ll skip that part. But my brain finally feels clear. (Unfortunately the proof of this is how much work I've been doing since I got home and the fact that I have to stop myself from continuing! Way too much to do this week, as always.)

I was just petting my gorgeous cat who has those beautiful green eyes and I remembered picking her out from the shelter right after my cancer diagnosis. My dad warned the shelter for me that I"m allergic to all cats except Abbysinians (that don't create dander) and asked them to keep an eye out. Sure enough two cats arrived soon... an Abbysinian and another short hair that they thought I would be safe with. The first one was white, I think, and purred and cuddled from the moment I met her. She was so sweet. But I fell for A., the minute I saw her. Ironically she was a little scared and contrary, but I knew right away that she was the one. Maybe it's because she looked so scared. I wanted to take care of her as much as I wanted her to take care of me.

Is it this bad habit of taking happy thoughts and finding darkness in them that made me just wonder about the cat I DIDN'T choose? She was so sweet. What happened to her? What about all the others that also didn't get chosen? I know I partly fell for A.'s eyes. This cat didn't have those eyes. Beautiful cats don't get chosen as quickly, do they? That's sad. Why does it have to be that way?

Well, at least I got my A. I'm very glad I adopted her. (Trying to bring the happy thought back.) And besides, that purry cat was a very sweet cat. Maybe she got snatched away quickly too.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Evenewra said...

Yeah, but boy she loves to be brushed. And you should hear her purr when she's chasing that Cat Dancer!

6:16 AM

 
Blogger Yoel Natan said...

You know, for as long as I can remember, I have had angst over this, the hard fact of choice and its mortal consequences. I can make hard choices, but it's always traumatic, so I resist (for better and for worse).

I offered to my therapist that perhaps this expresses my anxiety about power and disempowerment, neither of which I like. She said yes, it is because I have always believed I am more powerful than I am, so I have always exercised less power than I could.

12:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home