Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Friday, July 14, 2006

Israel

Following up on my last entry...

There is a limit to the number of things anyone can do to support Israel and its current situation, but there are still things to be done. Here are the things I will be doing. Normally I take on things like this in private, but I want to support Israel by encouraging others to do the same. (So technically, THAT is action #1.)

2. I very very rarely read tehillim (psalms) but am going to take on doing that with my davening each day.

3. Also, some extra learning.

3a. I was going to write a bit about this already, but now I'm motivated to do it in honor of this crisis. I recently received an email encouraging me to study Shmiras HaLoshon, or the laws of proper speech. Doing so helps on the practical level of helping us to behave more ethically towards each other and to be more aware of our own impact on the world. Some say that it has sort of an extra impact too of causing less visible repair in the world. You can study it very easily to through visiting the Chofetz Chaim website and subscribing to receive one or two laws each day by email to learn very quickly.

3b. I'm also trying to set up a chavruta (Torah learning partner) through Partners In Torah. I admit that particular group is not for everyone, but I've worked with them in the past and have spent a year feeling very disappointed that I haven't developed any regular learning. Again, I was going to do this already, but I'm doing it now because of the situation.

4. I'm not sure what else I'll do. There are organizations I can donate money to including but not limited to Magen David Adom (the Israeli Red Cross). I may go so far as to write a letter to President Bush thanking him for his support of Israel. That would take a HUGE conflicted effort on my part as I have major major issues with him in every other area. However, Israel needs U.S. support right now, and he gives it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home