Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

24 weeks

24 weeks pregnant today which means in a week I'll be enterring the 6th month.

Had a bit of a meltdown tonight of the I-don't-think-I-can-do-this variety.

With the summer almost over, school about to start again, the fact that I've done barely any writing lately even with my supposed freetime,* recent feelings that I'm not good at my job and finally, the invevitability of trying to continue my life but with an addition of a needy baby, I'm scared. How will I ever find time to do the things I need and want to do again?

(*I have to keep reminding myself that despite the fact that this is summer "vacation" I have been working about 25 hours/week.)

All this started manifesting itself with a quick unscheduled detour to the Nature Center this afternoon. (I watched the polywogs.) Then, this evening, though I'd told myself I would write, I took a spontaneous and necessary trip to Ben & Jerry's. While there I called a friend who asked me how I'm doing with the pregnancy and I gradually started feeling worse and worse until I came home and had a full-blown meltdown.

That's why I'm writing this over an hour past my "bedtime."

A helpful memory right now:

Before I was offered my first teaching job, I had a similar meltdown and told U. I didn't think I could be a full-time teacher. He said that the alternative, not getting a job, would probably be far worse.

I think the same applies now. I don't know at all yet how I'm going to make this work, but the alternative isn't good. So I have no choice but to have faith in myself and wait to see what happens. Besides, above where I say, "How will I ever find time to do the things I need and want to do again?" I guess that being a mother is just another thing I need and want. Maybe I'll hire a cleaning person.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger AMJ said...

Arwen, although this a bit late in response, here is my thought. You must remember that Hashem will only give you what you can handle. But you may have to modify you expectations of what you want to do. The first 2-3 months are the roughest and you will wonder if you will ever be sane again, but as the baby grows you will see that you can accomplish more. Do make time for yourself. You will see that nursing is a great time to read if you can stay awake. And do hire a cleaning person if you can swing it. We live in an amazing community and I have 2 girls come once a week to help me clean. It makes a difference. Also, be sure to stay in touch with your feelings and watch for post partum deppression. It can happen, but if you are aware of the symptoms you will be OK. And find a new mommy to share experiences with and ask the not so new mommies for lots of advice. You will see that once you get your feet on the ground again you are going to do wonderful! Patience, humor, love and more patience and more love and more humor......And you will do great! All your feelings are normal, but I know you will do fine!

5:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home