Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Sunday, June 17, 2007

More About 6


I wrote recently about our little six-month old baby. Today I'm writing about our six-year old marriage.

I don't blog about U. much on here. There are a number of reasons. One is that I try to protect his privacy. Another is that some of the things I write about, we do separately. But he's not at all absent in my heart and everyday life.

At the beginning of our relationship, I often got upset that we weren't like other couples we saw. Maybe we didn't look as affectionate as others, or didn't do as many things together or weren't in sync completely religiously or what-have-you. (It's interesting how many of those couples either are no longer couples or do things that I KNOW are not right for us.)

But I've learned over the years that just as I am no one but me, and he is no one but he, we are no one but we.

I wrote about how this past week a lot of difficult things happened. The one that was closest to home involved U. and I making an extremely difficult decision. It was the kind of decision that felt kind of yucky afterwards, even though it was the right thing to do. What was wonderful about it was that I couldn't help but be amazed and how unified we were when we made it. I feel so much pride in that.

To celebrate today's anniversary, we left ND with a babysitter. (Not easy for me at all, but something I need to learn to do.) And we went to see Spiderman 3. For better or for worse, I DON'T think we were unified in our opinion of it, but that's another piece of growth for us... it just doesn't bother me as much to be on different pages about movies anymore.

And ND survived the babysitter.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home