Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Two-hour Bedtime

That was needlessly painful.

I don't know if it's because she's sick, but ND had a terrible time going to bed tonight.

I've always enjoyed being THE MOST IMPORTANT person in her life, but tonight that backfired a bit. She wanted to nurse and nurse and nurse. I don't object to that at all, but when I pulled away, she would start crying. If I left the room, the cry became an all-out scream. We tried this again and again. She would get happy again just seeing me, but then couldn't fall asleep. We did this enough times that I guess eventually she was just exhausted. Even then, she still needed me to nurse with her just once more.

U. and I brainstormed throughout the entire process... let her cry, take her to the computer with me and work for a bit, lie down with her but don't nurse etc. It was helpful teamwork, but difficult nonetheless. I said during it that my only goal was to have her fall asleep without me having to go to bed then too. (A lot of times I do just go to bed with her if she's really needy.) I met that goal. Of course, ironically, I really wanted to go to sleep then. I stayed up an extra hour just because.



The good news is that we had a really lovely day today at Sunnyside. ND was very cooperative and U. and I enjoyed watching a history major get so into his job as he gave us the tour.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Evenewra said...

GDDBSDD9220522

11:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home