Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Monday, July 02, 2007

Meditation Class




I did it. I fulfilled a dream tonight.

That sounds huge, doesn't it? It doesn't actually FEEL huge now, but it is a big deal in the long run. Tonight I taught the first of six sessions of a meditation class for children.

And it really felt great.

My class consists of 4 girls going into fourth grade. 3 are previous students of mine, one is a client of one of the other kids' parent. (Got that?)

We did the class in U.'s and my home which meant I put a LOT of time into making the room look just right. The pictures below show A. checking out the new location of the coffee table. She kind of looks like she's levitating, doesn't she?




So here I've been wondering for a long time if a class like this could be possible. And now I've made it happen.

There's something really special about not only doing something you want, but also getting paid for it. I'm not saying that sarcastically. Being paid indicates that someone values your contribution, regardless of how fun it is for you.

On a similar note... regarding my most recent article Letting My Hair Grow Again, a friend wrote to me and said, "I never knew that was why you were keeping your hair short."

Maybe I just am embarassed about hearing praise, but I responded, "It looks cute short too, but no one is going to pay me to write that."

I've been a writer my whole life. It's only within the past five years that I've become a PUBLISHED writer. So part of the point of what I said to my friend is that I have learned something from an economical perspective about doing work that I love. There's a lot that my writing says, and there are some things my writing doesn't say. I don't just write everything in my soul (at least not for money). I write what will appeal to an audience and help me further my career. I would have thought at one time that that was crass, but it's not. It's what makes it possible to continue doing work that I love.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home