Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Sunday, January 13, 2008

No New Clothes Update: At Least This is IT...

Update on the Fish Oil Debacle:

U. took our best stuff to the cleaners and learned that it's just plain ruined. I need to throw a lot of it out.

In there is an outfit my mom made for ND... the cute blue and green outfit you see in 11 Things That is now in a big plastic container, SOAKING in white vinegar. After 24 hours I'll rinse it, hand wash it, then try washing again with baking soda.

Then maybe it will be ok.

But I think the rest has to go. We've already thrown out a lot... mostly underwear, socks, a towel I think and two baby blankets (including one with ND's name sewn on it.)

Other casualties:

• My best black work skirt. It was after I bought this skirt this fall that I felt I could go a year without buying new clothes.
• My black denim skirt... another of the clothes I use every week at work.
• Pair of jeans my mom handed down to me. Darn. They were a good fit. At last she gave me more than one pair.
• A tablecloth my mom gave us... beautiful purple... in honor or our new dining room table. Wow, my mom gives us a lot of good stuff! The only comfort with that is for some reason it was wrinkling badly, something she noticed when she was here. Something to do with the special material it was out of that it probably won't lie flat again anyway.
• Two nursing shirts... one that I only wore at home on Shabbat because it wrinkled funny and one that was a little too big in the neck. Maybe this is for the best.
• BOTH my pairs of sweatpants. This is sad. I don't have any others.
• 2 gDiapers. The good news here is that while searching for that link to put on here, I found there are some cheap and used on eBay. Also, I could get some of the new and improved ones. My commitment to not buy new clothes was for me, not for ND.
• 2 nice long sleeve t-shirts, one purple, one green.
• A long and wonderful black vest. Perfect for when I needed more continuity from my top to my bottom half or just a little more black to subdue some other bright color.
• My orange Vancouver shirt... bought on our first visit there when I was FREEZING and we were at the aquarium.
• Also in Vancouver I bought a jacket. This jacket had a liner that could be unzipped and be worn as just a sweatshirt. That sweatshirt/liner is now history.
• A very cute black shirt and a pair of overalls of ND's.

Sigh. Sigh sigh sigh.

I'm still not going to cave just yet to get new things. I might stick to getting used, or not full price or something. Undecided as of yet. In a way, this situation really furthers my cause of reducing my closet use and helping me pinpoint what clothes I really need and want to have, versus complete clutter.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home